Jeffrey Frisch Homepage Homepage from Jeffrey Frisch - Alpine Ski Canada Jeffrey Frisch Sponsors

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The reason I did not update my blog in so long is because I did all the updates on my supporter page on facebook. Which you should check out by the way if you haven't yet. 


But in the past few weeks I have been getting some e mails and messages telling me that you guys are missing my blog posts and that not everybody uses facebook. So this blog post will be a quick run-down of the past weeks. 

First things first.
Mid February I was racing Nor Am Cups in Colorado, to be exact I raced two GSs in Vail, two SG and two DH races in Aspen. I finished second in the first SG and I won the second SG with quite a lead over the second guy.  

Super happy!!! 

I skied well those days but I knew that I could be faster and ski better even though I had won. With these two good results in my pocket, Johno McBride (the men's Canadian speed World Cup head coach) told me that he would give me the opportunity to race two World Cup SGs in Crans Montanta, Switzerland. I was super happy about that, and booked a flight to Europe right then and there.

Once I arrived in Europe, I met up with TEAM TBS for some amazing ski training in Austria before leaving for Switzerland.  I used those few days to work on the things that I wanted to change after the races in Aspen.

Hans, Armin and myself.

Once I arrived in Crans Montana I could not wait for race day. 
I started with Bib nr. 39.  It was my first time on that hill but I really liked it off the bat, technical, lots of rolls and rough conditions. 
Before my run I watched a few guys on TV and a lot of them had problems, as this one jump on the course went quite far and the lending was right in a compression. I figured out a plan on how to ski it and stuck with that. 
Right off the start I went all out. I wanted it badly!! 

Going for it!!

I finished 23rd and was super happy about that result!!!

That day was a great day over all, my friends and team mates had a great race as well. Jan Hudec finished 2nd and Erik Guay 14th.

Yea Jan!!! Good job.

At the second race in Crans Montana I did not finish, due to a tactical mistake. I was bummed about that, but I knew I was on the right track. 

After the races in Carans Montana the National Team took me to Norway to race the SG World Cup in Kvitfjell.  It was great to be back in Kvitfjell, that is where I had my first top 15 World Cup result a few years back. 
This year we had two SGs in Kvitfjell. In the first one I skied really well on the top half of the course and also had a fast split time, but I got late after I hit a bump and skied into the outside gate and did  not finish.

Kvitfjell!!

The next day at the second SG I finished 28th which was okay for how I skied. Finishing top 30 I have to be happy,  considering I am fully self-funded and on my own program!! Meaning I don't have a full support system, no coach, no technician as I can not afford it. 
Although I was really lucky to have a few sponsors and supporters and TEAM TBS really helping me out. Without all of them this would not be possible. Thank you so much!! You are a big part of this success.

Okay back to the results. Top 30 was amazing, but next year I will go for better results. Getting these results gives me the will to work hard in the summer to be even more prepared for the next winter season.

After Norway I came back to North America where I had a GS Nor-Am Cup in Stow (Vermont).  My buddy Warner Nickerson organized a wonderful home for me to stay at. It was a great family, Carolyn  and her husband were Warner's coaches when he was a young boy. 
I skied okay in Stow but my first run was not that good so the final result was not really what I was looking for. 

Right after Stow I drove to Quebec City where there were a bunch of races scheduled in Le Massif and Mont Ste Anne: Nor-Am Cup finals and Canadian Championships. Due to warm temperatures they had to cancel everything other than the SL races. As I don't race SL, there were no more major races left for me. 
I was not really happy that we were not able to race at all. As I love Le Massif and like the race hill as well, it would have been good for me to get some races off. As skiing is an outdoor sport we have to accept what we get, regardless of the really difficult conditions we had in North America and Europe.
Sometimes it works to you advantage and sometimes not.

Enjoying spirng skiing (from the right)  MP, Maddy, myself and Anna. 

A few days after our amazing day of spring skiing together, Anna Goodman announced her retirement. She is now on her last stretch of races. Anna is a wonderful girl, great skier and one of my closest friends. I will miss her a lot!!

When I injured myself (just before the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver) I got surgery and was stuck on the couch at home in Montreal. The only good thing about that, was that I got to cheer Anna on. 
Anna had a torn ACL as well, but she raced the Olympics anyways. She had a brace on her knee and still finished 19th... 
After the Olympics, Anna got surgery and came back to Montreal. Where we hang out together. We went to physio together and kept ourselves busy while rehabbing. 

I wish Anna all the best for her next chapter in life.

Later,

Jeff




1 comment:

  1. Great results at the top level by season's end, and way to get into the top 30 from outside. It's a bummer you are not on the national team that was just announced, but as Conrad Pridy shows, it can be done to get on the team from invite. And if anyone can do it, it's you.

    ReplyDelete